My First Year of Mono

A year ago today I made my first contribution to Mono. I was in a very interesting work situation. I was being paid to work on a project that didn't really exist, so basically I sat in my home office and did absolutely nothing except be ready should I get a phone call or email. This of course led to extreme boredom, not having anything to do but yet unable to leave the house. So I decided I better find something to keep my sanity.

I had watched the Mono project for years with interest, and decided that there were some easy things in Winforms 2.0 that I could implement to help out and as a way for me to learn C#. So a year ago today I submitted a zip file of 57 new 2.0 enumerations. From there I moved to new EventHandlers and EventArgs. Next came the VisualStyles namespace, then FlowLayoutPanel, SplitContainer, TableLayoutPanel, and finally the network of *Strip controls. I also deviated a bit to make a little app called MoMA.

I hadn't taken any vacation last year and had never been to Boston, so on a whim I went to the Mono Summit to hang out with a bunch of people I had never met. There I got to put some faces with names and make some contacts that would land me a full time Mono job with Novell when my company decided it could offshore my sitting around.

Since then it's been finishing up *Strip stuff, implementing all kinds of random Winforms goodness, and fixing bugs. I think it's been a great year, and I can't wait to see what year two brings!

Also, I want to thank those who took a chance on some random guy who showed up in #mono-winforms and didn't really know much about Mono, but wanted to help. Thanks pdb, jchambers, toshok, jackson, spouliot, mkestner, and miguel for your patience and your guidance!

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Pinta

Hack Week 3

Mono in Visual Studio 2010